We had a power outage and our working BizTalk machines seemed to be unaffected. However when I tried to deploy any solution, check I got the following error: ‘Failed to load msxmlsql.dll’
The only article I found was this.
I applied the fix to my BizTalk machine, which did not fix the issue. Before calling support, I decided to reinstall everything, thinking that the power outage corrupted the file. I reinstalled everything, including the Operating System. Going through the install, I got to the Group component on the configuration, it would fail.
After a couple of days on the phone with MS Support, the SQL Support directed me that the msxmlsql.dll and msxmlsql.rll needed to be located in the SQL Server machine, not on the BizTalk Server. (The dll and rll doesn’t need to be located in the particular instances, but just the default installation of SQL Server).
After placing the file in the correct location, the installation seemed to be working correctly. I had to pull the files from SP4 install folders and place them in the correct location as per the KB article.
Hope that others don’t have to spend their time beating their head against the wall like I did.
(Which reminds me: Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.)